Please join us on Saturday October 20, 2018 at 10:30 am for a morning of gleaning apples at Mendon Orchards. We will carpool / caravan from the Shir Shalom, leaving promptly at 10:35am.
If it makes more sense for you to go directly to Mendon Orchards (for anyone coming from west of the town or North of Woodstock) plan to meet us there at 11am.
The address is: 1894 US-4, Mendon, VT 05701. Phone number of the farm is (802)775-5477 and you can find them on the web at https://mendonorchards.com. I’m told they are famous for their fruit pies and apple turnovers (which you can purchase at the bakery).
Bring your lunch if you’d like to eat at the orchard after our gleaning time is finished. Definitely carry water with you. Dress for the weather and wear comfy clothes and closed toe shoes (or boots if muddy).
You need no other special equipment. If you can pick an apple, you can participate. The Vermont Foodbank representative will meet with us to give us a brief overview about the foodbank programs and then we’ll get started on apple picking. We will finish by 1pm when we load up the foodbank truck with baskets of apples.
Note Well to the Parents of Religious School Children. This is not your typical classroom learning day! Please do not drop your kids and leave as we can’t do this without you! This is part of our new Living Judaism and this Saturday is our first Social Justice learning. It’s open to all ages and is a community-wide activity. The VT Foodbank does allow children to glean, but only when supervised by an adult.
The VT Foodbank prefers that volunteers ages 14 to register as a volunteer. In our particular case, I’ve already given her an estimate of our numbers and Mendon hasn’t put a cap on our group, so my contact has said “this is optional, but if the adults can sign-up, that would be helpful.”
I’ve gone through the process myself and it’s actually two steps. Setting up an an account with the VT Foodbank and then signing up for the specific volunteer work day at the volunteer hub. During the second part of the registration process, adults will notice a part about photo permissions and that there appears to be no way to opt-out for those who might want to — Don’t panic! I’ve already asked that they not take or use photos of our gleaning day (since it involves so many kids). The waiver for the kids 14 and up is slightly different and I think you can actually opt-out of photos specifically there, but again, I’ve already asked that no photos be taken and they have agreed.
- Visit: https://www.vtfoodbank.org/give-time/volunteer
- Click on the red box that says Volunteer Application, that takes you to: https://vtfoodbank.volunteerhub.com/account/signin?ReturnUrl=%2f
- Create an account (or sign if you happen to already have one) – after you create your account it will say that it takes a day to register you in the system, but this is NOT true! It is instantaneous! Proceed to the next step!
- From the “All Events” Drop down menu choose “Gleaning – Rutland” and you will see the special Shir Shalom gleaning listed there.
- Click the green Sign Up button. Read through the information, disclaimers and general waiver, and then accept in order to add your name to the roster.